Tuesday, May 15, 2012

andrew sullivan (and andrew murray) discusses reaction to president obama's endorsement of same-sex marriage

As many people I imagine, Andrew Sullivan cried when he heard the words of Obama.  No one was expecting it, I certainly wasn't expecting it.  I knew all along, that after the second election, Obama would come out in full force for marriage equality, employment non-discrimination, etc. because Obama not only has morals, but also has game. He has strategy.  I would much rather want him to come out in support of gay rights after his re-election, than risk not getting one by coming out now, because ultimately, I want to have equal rights more than I want presidential approval.

Still, I had no idea what was about to happen. I did read on the blogs that there was some confusion about some off-comment idea of the white house having conflicting statements on same-sex marriage, but to me I didnt consider that news.  Obama has all but come out in support of same-sex marriage, all the while refusing to defend DOMA in court, and coming out against anti-gay constitutional amendment referendums because they are "divisive". His rhetoric has been conflicted, barely walking a line between support and non-support.  Sure, it was annoying to hear conservative folks argue "your liberal president doesnt even support you" etc. But it was a strategy, a means to an end.

Over a dozen major national polls over the past year have all indicated that a majority of Americans now support same-sex marriage, gay rights, think gays are no less moral than straights, etc ranging from 52-60% depending on the poll.  But Dont Ask Dont Tell had 80% support from Americans to repeal it and they BARELY got it repealed.  So yeah, a narrow majority does not mean a President is safe to support it publicly, so again, I did not expect him to come out before the election with an "evolution" of opinion.

Regardless, I was in California Pizza Kitchen when I glanced up at the flat screen monitors all seemingly on different news channels all showing the same thing, so it must have been something important. When my eyes focused to see what they were talking about, what the news reel said, I was surprised.  I was overjoyed, but even in the instant moment of joy, tears dropped out of my eyes without even a feeling of tearfulness. I cried right there at my table in front of everyone in the restaurant, all the while feeling pure happiness, pure peace, like some weight had been lifted from me.  His words were an opinion of moral conscience, not an executive order, not a congressional vote, not a supreme court ruling, not anything that truly mattered on bringing this hope to fruition, but the President of the United States for the first time in history stated in public for the public to hear, and in his view, I am not less than, I am equal, I am valued.  It was as if my own father was standing there saying he loved me and accepted me.  And for many gay men and women, Obama likely became an instant surrogate father to so many whose parents refuse to say that to their kids longing for that feeling on unconditional love from an authority figure.  It really changed me, it gave me hope, it gave me peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment