Thursday, May 3, 2012

Boy Scouts board member resigns in support of fired lesbian den leader

GLAAD announces that a board member of the Ohio River Valley Council of the BSA has resigned in support of Jennifer Tyrell who was asked to be a den leader, then after a year was fired for being a lesbian - even though they knew about her same-sex relationship when she joined.  Her petition for the BSA to change its mean and discriminatory policy now has nearly 300,000 signatures.



David J. Sims, the board member resigning submitted a letter which reads:


Dear Bob:


It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I write to you today to inform you that I am resigning as a member of the Board of Directors of the Ohio River Valley Council of the Boy Scouts of America.


Yesterday, after receiving the email from Paul Tucker, I first learned the story of Jennifer Tyrrell, the den leader for Pack 109's Tiger Scouts in Bridgeport, Ohio, who was removed as leader solely due to her sexual orientation. I understand that this action was taken as a result of a standing policy of the Boy Scouts of America and that said action is legal. However, Ms. Tyrrell’s removal goes against my fundamental beliefs of how we should treat our fellow human beings and is, in my opinion, wholly discriminatory. I understand that the Boys Scouts of America is free to run its organization as it sees fit, however, I can not formally be a part of it based upon this policy.


My grandfather was an Eagle scout, my father was an Eagle scout and I am an Eagle Scout. Other than his family and his Christian faith, the most important thing in my father’s life was the Boy Scouts. The lived and breathed scouting. That is what makes this decision so exceedingly difficult and emotional. However, I know that my father would support my decision.


Best wishes to you, Ohio River Valley Council and the Boy Scouts of America in future endeavors. I hope that the powers that be will look into their hearts and find the wisdom and courage to re-examine the policies of the Boy Scouts of America.


Sincerely yours,


David J. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment